Inshore fishing maps
Download maps of commercial inshore fishing activity, marine protected areas, and fishing closures to protect Māui and Hector's dolphins.
Commercial inshore fishing activity
Limitations of fishing activity maps
These maps only provide an indication of fishing activity.
- show fishing methods that report at a fine scale – trawl, line, and net
- include fishing where coordinates are reported (vessels below 6m don't have to report fishing coordinates)
- provide catch values based on main species caught.
Marine protected and customary management areas
- Marine protected areas map [PDF, 7.1 MB]
- Customary fisheries management areas map [PDF, 27 MB]
- Individual customary management areas
Closures to protect Māui and Hector's dolphins
- North Island closure map [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- South Island west coast closure map [JPG, 7.5 MB]
- South Island south-east coast closure map [JPG, 7.4 MB]
Use our online mapping tool – NABIS
Our interactive mapping tool 'NABIS' provides maps and statistics for commercial fishing events, fishing methods, some non-commercial fishing, and restricted areas.
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback