Support for fishers

Fisheries New Zealand understands that there are many challenges faced by fishers, their whanau and the communities they work in. Find out about some national and regional services that can give help and advice with health, wellbeing, and making business decisions.

Changes to your business

It’s important to consider what planned changes to the fishing industry might mean for your business.

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

MBIE has information to help you explore alternatives to support your business, including finding ways to turn around your finances.

Inland Revenue

Inland Revenue has information for businesses that are making a loss, including how you can use a loss to reduce future taxable income.

Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ)

WINZ is the branch of the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) that offers support services for businesses that experience any change, such as downsizing. They can work with you before and after business changes to help your employees with any transition.

WINZ also has information on Jobseeker Support. You can apply for Jobseeker Support online. FishServe can help with any permit holder-related questions (like providing evidence that a fishing permit has been cancelled if you need this).

Heartland Services

Heartland Services is a branch of MSD that helps people living rurally with a wide range of government services. There are 28 Service Centres around the country. You can access services and information there, and arrange meetings with government agency representatives.

Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)

The CAB offers free, confidential, independent information and advice to New Zealanders. They cover topics like employment and business, money, and health and wellbeing. You can search for topics on their website, visit a local branch (no appointment needed), or call them on 0800 36 72 22.

Technology providers

Are financial constraints are making it hard for you to buy the equipment you need to carry out electronic catch and position reporting? Talk to technology providers to see if they can offer payment options.

Worried about your own or someone else’s mental well-being?

The best place to get help is your general practitioner (GP) or local mental health provider. Each district health board (DHB) website includes a list of local mental health service providers.

If you prefer to talk to someone else:


  • 0800 54 33 54 (0800 LIFELINE).
  • Or free text 4357 (HELP) (available 24/7).


Depression Helpline

Free call or text 1737 any time

Last reviewed: