Kahutara, Oaro, and Tūtaeputaputa mātaitai reserves
Documents released under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) in response to requests for information relating to the establishment of the Kahutara and Tūtaeputaputa Mātaitai Reserves, and extension of the Oaro Mātaitai Reserve near Kaikōura in 2018.
What are Mātaitai Reserves?
Mātaitai reserves are areas of fisheries waters that recognise and provide for the special relationship between tangata whenua and their traditional fishing grounds. Mātaitai only apply to fisheries waters, they do not apply to land.
The only change when a mātaitai is established is that commercial fishing is prohibited in the area. Mātaitai do not affect private landowners’ land use, property rights or land titles, or change access to private land. The use of natural resources managed under the Resource Management Act 1991, such as taking water or extracting gravel from streams, is not affected by the establishment of a mātaitai.
Mātaitai provide the opportunity for the tangata tiaki/kaitiaki (guardians) of the mātaitai to:
- request the Minister of Fisheries make regulations allowing the commercial fishing of specified species within the mātaitai
- propose bylaws restricting or prohibiting fishing from all or part of the mātaitai
- issue customary fishing authorisations for the mātaitai
- authorise moving fish within a mātaitai for the purpose of enhancing stocks.
Note, some information has been withheld under section 9(2)(a) of the OIA to protect the privacy of natural persons, including that of deceased natural persons.
Marlborough Express [PDF, 340 KB]
Kaikōura Star [PDF, 952 KB]
Saturday Express [PDF, 501 KB]
Marlborough Express and Kaikōura Star [PDF, 424 KB]
Marlborough Express – Mātaitai reserves declared [PDF, 572 KB]
Kaikōura Boating Club [PDF, 187 KB]
Kaikōura District Council (Kahutara and Oaro only) [PDF, 183 KB]
Kina Industry Council [PDF, 527 KB]
Public meeting held at the Takahanga Marae, Kaikōura [PDF, 157 KB]
Emails and letters
- Public Notice on Stage 1 consultation confirmed with the Rūnanga [PDF, 273 KB]
- Rūnanga notified that Stage 1 consultation about to start [PDF, 328 KB]
- Logistics for organising public meeting [PDF, 710 KB]
- Rūnanga confirm Tiaki nominations [PDF, 632 KB]
- Draft presentation and handouts for public meeting [PDF, 2.6 MB]
- Copy of submissions provided to Rūnanga [PDF, 601 KB]
- Additional submission provided to Rūnanga [PDF, 373 KB]
- Rūnanga confirm no changes to application after Stage 1 consultation [PDF, 273 KB]
- Rūnanga notified that Stage 2 consultation about to start [PDF, 463 KB]
- Fishing interests notified of applications and Stage 2 consultation [PDF, 2.3 MB]
- Confirmation of boundaries after Kaikōura earthquakes [PDF, 433 KB]
- Rūnanga informed what happens after minister’s approval [PDF, 310 KB]
- Rūnanga informed of progress [PDF, 646 KB]
- Rūnanga notified of Gazette Notice [PDF, 508 KB]
- Fishing interests notified of Gazette Notice [PDF, 427 KB]
- Email exchange [PDF, 284 KB]
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)